Author Topic: Cybermonkey's reason for locking "John's reason for leaving" topic.  (Read 1715 times)

Tomaaz

Obvious.

B+

Re: Cybermonkey's reason for locking "John's reason for leaving" topic.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
Maybe he got a glimpse of what B+ had posted and rightly said, "No way!" to himself.

I am glad I edited it before he closed it down. :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
The whole topic should have been deleted,

B+

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »
Why's that?

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »
Because talking subjects like Is BASIC dead or alive?, Is BASIC worse/better than other languages?, Is GOTO good or bad?, Are line numbers good or bad? is just waste of time and energy. To be honest - starting topics like that should be not allowed any longer.

B+

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 07:09:05 PM »
Because talking subjects like Is BASIC dead or alive?, Is BASIC worse/better than other languages?, Is GOTO good or bad?, Are line numbers good or bad? is just waste of time and energy. To be honest - starting topics like that should be not allowed any longer.

I did not think what we "discussed" was that sort of thing at all.

I think if you think a topic a waste of time, that you should not get involved with it.

I think we needed to air out some differences of opinion as long as things can be kept civil maybe learning could take place.

I thought the thing fit cleanly in Off Topic category who wants to regulate that???

EDIT: what's it mean when we start writing things twice?  :o

PS appended: It does suck that you get locked out, leaving words you wish you could change. They did that at QB64 forum for awhile and that was horrible. On the other hand...   well, very hard to get a perfect world through regulations.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:19:42 PM by B+ »

Tomaaz

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
I did not think what we "discussed" was that sort of thing at all.

Yes, it was. Myself, Mike and ZXDunny did discuss line numbers and GOTO. The whole ScriptBasic thing was exactly about BASIC being alive/dead and better/worse than other languages. How the hell did you manage to miss it???

I think if you think a topic a waste of time, that you should not get involved with it.

So if I start topics like "Do you think that BASIC programmers masturbate more often than C programmers" and "Do you think that B+ take shower once per week, because he spend to much time on BASIC?" then no one should do anything about it and all what should be done is to ignore the topics? Well, I disagree.

I think we needed to air out some differences of opinion as long as things can be kept civil maybe learning could take place.

No one will ever learn much (if anything) from topics like that.

I thought the thing fit cleanly in Off Topic category who wants to regulate that???

This forum is about BASIC, programming and creating games, so, strictly speaking, in Off Topic we should discuss everything (music, art, philosophy, politics, sex, pets etc.) but BASIC, programming and creating games.

B+

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
I started the thread, it wasn't about GOTO that is obvious distraction / side track that others are emotionally invested in.

Just like talking about masturbation also an obvious distraction / side track that others are emotionally invested in.

If I called you a fascist because you want to regulate everything, again, obvious distraction / side track that others are emotionally invested in.

Just like trashing another's favorite Basic or Python or whatever the PL flavor of the month is this week.  ;)

WTH maybe all life is distraction / side track on the way to the final resting place.

Is philosophy allowed here?

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 08:19:49 PM »
I started the thread, it wasn't about GOTO that is obvious distraction / side track that others are emotionally invested in.

This is exactly what happens with topics like that - you start one about one thing and five posts later it's about something totally different. The funny thing is that this topic is starting to look exactly like that and, because I'm bored by this kind of pointless "bla bla bla", it's my last post here. It's more fun to code.  ;)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 08:56:13 PM »
I second Mark's standpoint. I'd let the topic stay locked.

There were plenty of things said and attitudes expressed that could somehow help people including possible newcomers get to know each other better and faster on this forum without stepping on the old rake again, and possibly prevent necromancy on the topics that used to be already discussed, proven and dismissed as counter-productive.