Author Topic: Using copyrighted graphics  (Read 3747 times)

JSM

Using copyrighted graphics
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
when experimenting it is very nice to use graphics from old NES games, and doing complete remakes is also fun and good for learning. is there any policy on this forum regarding posting examples/games that uses graphics from old and classic games? when you find some good graphics at free sites like opengameart they are never complete enough for being usefull.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Using copyrighted graphics
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Good question. I would say that's in the responsibility of the coder. I know Marcus made once a game with some mario graphics and posted it on the old forum.

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:24:11 AM »
I would say that's in the responsibility of the coder.

Yes, but what if the author of the game gives an information that he's used someone else's graphics and/or sound without permission? Can administrators just ignore it or do they have to take an action? If someone says something like "Guys, this is my new game, but graphics is kind of stolen from..."? I'm not an expert, but I think that admins should rather remove this kind of content (it's just common sense) .

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:34:04 AM »
Well, you all agreed to that at the registration:
You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.
Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within.
and to this:
You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages.
I am not a lawyer but I think this does include attachments, too.

JSM

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
okay better not make any such posts then :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
Well, you all agreed to that at the registration:
You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.
Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within.
and to this:
You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages.
I am not a lawyer but I think this does include attachments, too.

It should be enough if you don't have a knowledge that some materials were posted without owner's permission. Also, you don't have to check content posted by other forum members. But if you know that someone has posted copyrighted material without author's permission, you should rather remove it. Of course, the risk that someone will sue you for allowing to post and store illegal content is extremely small, but for some people it can be simply unacceptable and have bad impact on the popularity of this forum (and of course EGSL an NaaLaa, too). So, if someone wants to use someone else's work without permission, he/she should take full responsibility for it by not informing about it on the forum. Just my opinion.