Author Topic: JavaScript and HTML5  (Read 13416 times)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
JavaScript and HTML5
« on: February 07, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
I am really excited about the possibilities of the canvas element. Today I got this book: http://www.apress.com/9781430247104  and I can absolutely recommend it.

At the moment I start learning by doing and try to port some EGSL examples over to Javascript. First example is:
Code: [Select]
openwindow (300,200,32,"2D Drawing Test EGSL")
colour (0,0,255)
fillcircle (100,100,50)
colour (0,255,0)
fillbox (150,20,170,40)
colour (255,0,0)
for k=0,20 do
    aaline (10,10+k*8,200,0)
end
color (255,255,255)
drawtext (10,50,"Hello, this is a test")
redraw()
inkey()
closewindow()         

You can find the HTML5 version on: http://retrogamecoding.org/2ddrawing.html (have a look at the source.)
Now, that's rather unspectacular but I think I can show a "moving" example soon.

Mopz

Re: JavaScript and HTML5
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:11:36 PM »
Do you have any plans for writing a tool that translates from EGSL to html5/js?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
Do you have any plans for writing a tool that translates from EGSL to html5/js?
No, not yet.

Tomaaz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
I've found some interesting opinion about JavaScript and HTML5 on the web.

I'm very worried about the html5/javascript standard growing like crazy. How can this worthless-piece-of-crap-shitty-ass-butt-sucking-monster-cock-blowing-stuff be so darned popular? Every cross mobile platform framework, except marmalade, these days use it, and it's a slow crapy webview plugin.

...is it easy to use? No? Is it convenient in any way? No. Does it make any sense? No.

But AS/html5/javascript aren't lowlevel or highlevel, they're just a complete mess. "Hey, let's mix crap with some OOP and hope for the best!..."

Some of you are probably familiar with these word. ;)

I also don't like the fact that almost everything moves to HTML5/JavaScript, but the technology itself is not that bad IMHO. Of course I'm talking as an amateur programmer.

Mopz

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:08 AM »
I've found some interesting opinion about JavaScript and HTML5 on the web.

I'm very worried about the html5/javascript standard growing like crazy. How can this worthless-piece-of-crap-shitty-ass-butt-sucking-monster-cock-blowing-stuff be so darned popular? Every cross mobile platform framework, except marmalade, these days use it, and it's a slow crapy webview plugin.

...is it easy to use? No? Is it convenient in any way? No. Does it make any sense? No.

But AS/html5/javascript aren't lowlevel or highlevel, they're just a complete mess. "Hey, let's mix crap with some OOP and hope for the best!..."

Some of you are probably familiar with these word. ;)

I also don't like the fact that almost everything moves to HTML5/JavaScript, but the technology itself is not that bad IMHO. Of course I'm talking as an amateur programmer.

That was the beer talking, not me :) I'm very amazed, however, about the fact that "How can this worthless-piece-of-crap-shitty-ass-butt-sucking-monster-cock-blowing-stuff be so darned popular?" didn't transform into "How can this worthless-piece-of-*-*-*-*-*-monster-*-*-stuff be so darned polular?"

Aurel

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
giva me brake dude yo musta try ita

SteveOW

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »
@Cybermonkey,
Just out of interest
(seeing as you are now looking at C# etc)
how far did you get with JavaScript and HTML5?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:43:35 AM by SteveOW »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
Well, that's my problem: I want to learn too many different languages ... ::) At the moment I am "back" at JavaScript since there are now so many great frameworks. My favourite is MelonJS at the moment.