Author Topic: Speed up installation of Windows programmes  (Read 9156 times)

Aurel

Re: Speed up installation of Windows programmes
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
Linux is not more difficult to install than Windows, it's even easier and faster
ha ha in which universe 8)
first of all, you must know how much space your linux distro need,then
you must create partitions: root/user/swap..
you must know what program use for that - GParted is my favorite
etc...etc...etc...
Linux is installed with a lot of usefull softwares (much more than in Windows)
yeah that is true...but in which distro :o
ugly thing is that you have in many distros programs with same function...
And yes you cannot compare huge windows (freeware base) programs with such a small
amount of good programs for linux.

Linux rarely (or even never) crashes, unlike Windows
yea maybe if you use only one program at time...
or if you use linux system as server without Xwindow layer
-
Linux is less slow than Windows
this statment sounds like science fiction

I can do with Linux exactly what I did with Windows (graphics, music, etc.) and sometimes more
No you can't ...you cannot play fast DX games.. ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:16:26 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
first of all, you must know how much space your linux distro need,then
you must create partitions: root/user/swap..
you must know what program use for that - GParted is my favorite
etc...etc...etc...

Aurel, please try to install a modern distro based on Ubuntu. Installation manager will do everything for you. You just need to choose what type of installation you want (wipe the disk and install the system, create another partition and install the system on it or use chosen existing partitions). Everything will require a few clicks and will be done automatically (including configuration of boot manager). Your problem is that, for some extremely strange reasons, you keep trying obsolete or not mainstream distros not intended to be used by ordinary users in every day computing.

Recently, I moved from Mint to LXLE (newer Mints don't come with LXDE any more) and it was a pleasure. Took me about a half an hour to have exactly the same system, with the same programs installed (all of them configured), the same folders, desktop and wallpaper. I'll give you two examples. This single line
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser geany gimp pinta deadbeef wine audacity openshot tuxguitar easymp3gain installed all programs I needed with all dependencies and in newest versions (Firefox, LibreOffice, Thunderbird and many more were already installed).

These two
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
update your system and all installed programs.

Seriously, how anyone can still say that Linux is difficult to install?  ???

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
Seriously, how anyone can still say that Linux is difficult to install?  ???
Only people who didn't try ...

Aurel

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 02:56:47 PM »
wipe the disk and install the system, create another partition and install the system on it or use chosen existing partitions)
do you really think that most people know how to create partition,set flags etc...
things got worst when people try dual-boot windows/linux

And why most people think that linux is defacto-> ubuntu/ubuntu based ...it is not.
For example your(unfortunatelly - not only yours) beloved Mint don't know how to set
properly screen resolution BUT hey look small & stupid Slitaz know ...well is this some
kind of magic,Slax know to without any problems etc...etc...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:12:51 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »
do you really think that most people know how to create partition,set flags etc...
things got worst when people try dual-boot windows/linux

How many more times do I need to repeat that all these things will be done automatically by the installation manager? All you need to do is set the size of a new partition if you choose the second option. Did you understand what I said? There are three option to choose from:

1. Use the entire disk (it will wipe existing operating system(s)).
2. Create a new partition and make your machine dual-boot (all you need to set is a size of the new partition and the rest will be done for you by installation manager).
3. Chose existing partitions without doing anything to the rest of the disk. This option also make your machine dual-boot and this is the option I used last time.

Linux is not Ubuntu based, but Ubuntu based distros are the easiest to install and use. Yeah, Mint is my "beloved" distro, because I just told you I moved to LXLE... Great logic. :) Of course that problem may happen. I don't know how old is your machine, but are you sure that you would install Windows 8 (or 7 - you still use XP, righ?) on it without problems? Mint doesn't work (I hope it's not Mint 7 you were talking about some time ago...) on your machine. It happens. Bad for you. But don't say that because it doesn't work on your machine it won't work on someone else's.

EDIT: In the meantime I compiled QB64. Yes, it was "extremely painful" process, took me "ages" to complete and, of course, "nothing" works. ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:24:18 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
I only had problems with screen resolution about 10 years ago when I still used CRTs. No problems with LCDs/LEDs.
I am using Kubuntu by the way because I like the full featured KDE desktop. No funny metro tiles. But I think that won't count because some are still using Windows XP although even MICROSOFT (our beloved godfather software company) is discouraging from XP. Oh, no, support will end in April 2014.

Tomaaz

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
I only had problems with screen resolution about 10 years ago when I still used CRTs.

It happened to me once - when I tried to run old versions of Slax and Puppy on a relatively new laptop. All distros I tried recently (and believe me, I tried a lot) didn't have any problems with that.

... because some are still using Windows XP although even MICROSOFT (our beloved godfather software company) is discouraging from XP.

Yeah, because "XP is the best, cause it is the best and it works so why change anything bla bla bla". ;) And of course: "XP is still being used in business world". Like you could compare businesses and private users. ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:54:04 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
And besides: playing fast DirectX games on XP is rather ridiculous since XP doesn't even support DirectX 11.  ::) (Believe me or not, I had to look up the word "ridiculous" in the dictionary to see how it's spelled).

Aurel

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »
and believe me, I tried a lot
so when you tried a lot...tell me which one (no Mint..) is very good for you...
arch
crunch
lubuntu
startOs ..maybe... ;D ;D ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
so when you tried a lot...tell me which one (no Mint..) is very good for you...

I can't, because it really seems that we live in two parallel univereses. In mine it is 2013 already, in yours - still 2003. So, all the distros I like simply don't exists in your world...

Aurel, you really need to find this guy (he may be a bit younger in your universe):
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:25:30 PM by Tomaaz »

Aurel

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
I am really sorry Tomaz because it looks to me that you don't know how to install any
other distro which is not ubuntu based :-X

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
Anyway, it's all too complicated.
This will be my next used operating system:

Tomaaz

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
I am really sorry Tomaz because it looks to me that you don't know how to install any
other distro which is not ubuntu based :-X

Well, I have to admit that most of them I tried in live version (I have subscription for Linux magazine that comes monthly with several new distros on DVD), but I guess that to install them you need to click that icon with install on it (mostly it is located in the left top corner). ;D And yes, I only install distros based on Ubuntu that come in 64bit versions with LXDE. The last not Ubuntu based distro I tried was Slitaz, but it didn't even boot ("kernel panic"). And before that was Fedora 17 LXDE. Installation process looked exactly the same like in Mint or LXLE and my desktop looked exactly the same, but Fedora doesn't have a good opinion if we are talking about stability. Also - internet connection was slower. And it didn't play some audio and video files out of the box.

I also have an USB with Linux on it. At the moment it's Puppy. It's OK, but I'm looking forward to replace it with Slax7. Unfortunately, at the moment there is almost no software for new Slax (but I was able to use BaCon on it, for example). And there was a problem with Wi-Fi connection. I had to connect manually every single time I run the system. But it looks very promising.*

I'm not planning to try Arch, because it's not system for me. Arch is great, but I'm not a Linux geek, who wants to spend days on tweaking system and making it work. I just want to have system that is stable, functional and easy to use. That's why I always recommend distros based on Ubuntu. You could use them to. You just need to find Dr. Brown. He will help you go back to 2013.  ;D

*I hope you don't want me to show screenshots to prove my words. ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Anyway, it's all too complicated.
This will be my next used operating system:

:o Are you going back to XP? ;D

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
XP is too modern. It's the colour maximite. But this could be an alternative: http://www.freedos.org/ with OpenGEM.