Author Topic: Problem with documentation  (Read 7443 times)

Tomaaz

Problem with documentation
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
I've tried to edit EGSL documentation and, unfortunately, I'm not able to do it. Chromium crashes. IE and Firefox let me edit, but I can't save any changes. I thought that the problem was only on Linux, but on Windows 7 is exactly the same. I've got Java installed (the script uses it, right?). Any ideas? Of course I was trying with a copy saved on my disc.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
Re: Problem with documentation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
Hm, it works with Firefox on Windows 7 and Linux here. Maybe there is a WoaS hint about that issue?

Tomaaz

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »
After reinstalling Java, Chromium doesn't crash any more, but I still can't save anything. During opening the document I get a message WoaS unhandled error. Save failure during integrity test., but the page is displayed correctly. Then when I want to edit and save changes to the document I get a message that my browser (in all cases - IE, Chromium or Firefox) might be not supported. In WoaS documentation I've found something like this: "The first time you save a change to Wiki on a Stick, your browser will ask for permission to save data to the disk. This is normal and necessary for the wiki to make changes to itself. You can give permission each time or make the setting permanent." My browsers don't ask me anything. They just display messages about an error. I've tried to change security settings in each browser, but nothing works. Any ideas? I'd like to make it work on Windows. I don't want to even think about fixing it on Linux...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:37:22 PM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »
Hm, it doesn't need Java but Javascript. Is this enabled? My browser asks my every time for permission.

Tomaaz

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:32:02 PM »
It uses Java. I even got a message that I had an old version installed. JavaScript doesn't have an access to a hard drive. That's why it needs Java. To save changes to the the disk. And it looks like this is something that doesn't want to work on my systems. Markus, could you disable Java and try to edit the document without it?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
Oh funny. If I load the html site it says now
WoaS Unhandled error
----
Save failure during integrity test
/home/markus/Dokumente/EGSL-Documentation
Now I enable Java agin.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
And I got the same error message. Seems to be rather a problem with the file here. I'll try it at home again this evening.

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
Okay, I tried it and turned Java off (on Linux Mageia 2 64 Bit): everything works fine; I can change and save the documentation.

Tomaaz

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:31 PM »
This is really strange. I don't have Java on one of my Linux laptops and while loading that page (I tried Firefox, Chromium and Seamonkey) I get a message about a missing plug-in. And the missing plug-in is Java Runtime Environment (see screenshot). Are you sure you disabled Java? How is it possible that JavaScript has access to your hard drive? :o From Wikipedia:

JavaScript and the DOM provide the potential for malicious authors to deliver scripts to run on a client computer via the web. Browser authors contain this risk using two restrictions. First, scripts run in a sandbox in which they can only perform web-related actions, not general-purpose programming tasks like creating files.

EDIT: I checked WoaS forum and documentation and found out that it uses a TiddlySaver.jar applet, but the documentation is very outdated.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:05:13 AM by Tomaaz »

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Yes I disabled Java IcedTea plugin in Firefox. Maybe it needs a java runtime anyway?

Tomaaz

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
I think I know what the problem is. To edit this file you need to have all WoaS files already on your machine, not only the one html file that you get when save EGSL documentation to the hard drive. I downloaded WoaS, placed EGSL documentation in its folder and then finally got several security messages about running Java file (TiddlySaver.jar is included in WoaS folder). Markus... what about using something else for EGSL documentation?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:12:37 AM »
The funny thing is I don't have this TiddlySaver.jar in my folder and it works anyway. Did you place the images into that folder? I have attached now my working copy from my harddisk.

Tomaaz

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
It doesn't work without TiddlySaver on my machines. I'm able to edit documentation with TiddlySaver, but do you really want to keep using this format?

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »
I got no time to learn another software. The only other program I would use is LibreOffice but that would result in an offline documentation.

Tomaaz

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
I tried to use a simple CMS for EGSL documentation. Here is an example: http://egsl.ct8.pl/screen/. It's based on GetSimple CMS. The main advantage is that it can be fast and easily edited online. It's also much lighter than WoaS and probably will work better with mobile devices. What do you think?