Author Topic: Beginner friendly BASICs  (Read 11805 times)

ScriptBasic

Re: Beginner friendly BASICs
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Bitterness is not a flavor that lasts.

ZXDunny

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
quote under quoted and angry and bitter
who is who i don't know and i don't care
I prefer to be nasty  ;D

Don't worry Aurel, you (along with B+ and most other members here) fall strongly into the first category.

As B+ has ably demonstrated, making your own language is fun. There's a certain thrill involved in designing the syntax, crafting lexer and parser, deciding on how you're going to interpret those tokens and symbols - Pure interpreter? Bytecode? Compiled? and then showing off code you've written in your language and pointing out the parts you're proud of.

Anyone who has created their own language from scratch is rightly deserving of any praise the likes of I can heap upon them.

And anyone who wants to take that pleasure away from people who do this, by denigrating their efforts and accusing them of making "toys" (as if that were a bad thing) while never having achieved anything more than caretaking is deserving of nothing more than being ignored.

Tomaaz

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 10:58:14 PM »
The more languages I try, the more I would like to create my own. Of course, it would be a simple language to be used for fun, but still -  I neither have knowledge, skills or time to do so. Maybe in 30 years, when I'm retired?  ;)

ZXDunny

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
The more languages I try, the more I would like to create my own. Of course, it would be a simple language to be used for fun, but still -  I neither have knowledge, skills or time to do so. Maybe in 30 years, when I'm retired?  ;)

Well, why not? There's no rush, and you can create one when you're ready. It's all about having fun with BASIC - nothing more than that.

jj2007

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
You see, this is where all the friction comes from.
Angry and bitter people are these; they get no joy from their pursuits unlike the coders who do it purely for fun.

In my experience, the angriest are those who code for a living. Of course, there are many who live well from coding and therefore are not angry and bitter. Sometimes I feel privileged to be retired. Coding just for pleasure, yeah, that's luxury ;)

ZXDunny

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
You see, this is where all the friction comes from.
Angry and bitter people are these; they get no joy from their pursuits unlike the coders who do it purely for fun.

In my experience, the angriest are those who code for a living. Of course, there are many who live well from coding and therefore are not angry and bitter. Sometimes I feel privileged to be retired. Coding just for pleasure, yeah, that's luxury ;)

Well, I code for a living. I get up out of bed when I want, I code for as long as I feel working on whatever I want, have free reign to start new projects of my choosing. I take as long as I want for lunch, knock off when I want to. If I need to take a day for family time or whatever I just take it. And yeah, I'm paid very well indeed.

Right now the company is starting in a new direction with our own custom hardware so I'm having real fun messing around with that, doing cool stuff. And occasionally I get to take part in music videos which is also great fun.

So no, I'm not bitter at all :)

B+

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Hi D,

Best graphics entrance of singer I've ever seen, was that you?

I would guess you worked on the sound were you also filmed? or had any part in graphics effect?

Aurel

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
O
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:26:56 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
B+, do you believe me now?  ;D

B+

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:50:33 PM by B+ »

ZXDunny

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 09:57:25 PM »
Hi D,

Best graphics entrance of singer I've ever seen, was that you?

I would guess you worked on the sound were you also filmed? or had any part in graphics effect?

I was there because our company (Image-Line) sponsors Jayce Lewis from time to time; he's one of our "power users" and he needed some extra bodies to be in the video. I also sourced some sound hardware for teh shoot.

I'm in there as the guy screaming and bashing the hell out of the square things with flashing lights in front of the framework thingy (and in a number of other scenes too). It was a great laugh, we had a fantastic time. Oh yes, that's David Prowse (Darth Vader) in there too, it was surreal meeting him on a small set in Wales!

I got vapourised also, which was a neat effect. I didn't work on any of the effects - though we did shoot some scenes of PCs running various graphical effects in SpecBAS (they wanted a retro-80s style science feel) but they didn't make the final cut barring one very hard to spot mini-PC running the Harmonograph effect.

B+

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 11:59:27 PM »
Yeah, see you by your description. Nice part, must have been great experience.