Author Topic: 2018/2019  (Read 8339 times)

Aurel

Re: 2018/2019
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:00 AM »
It's funny how you either don't understand how things work

Oh man ...that is really weird..

He ask me once what is my IP adress ..then he "figured" that i use wifi from my car and i drive from
one free wifi spot to another free wifi spot and connect to internet every time with different IP
...do you can believe in that tomek?
he simply don't know for dynamic IP ? weird...

Aurel

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:06 AM »
For example i agree with Mike 100% when he have a right
( but that is not always even he think that is )

a pointer-less BASIC is a pointless BASIC
BASIC has always been, and still continues to be, an all-purpose instrument, and its B(eginner's) component is just a minute fraction in the language paradigm that, if unavailable intrinsically in a well-developed BASIC dialect, can be easily plugged in via a screenful-long include file or a tiny dynamically linked module
object-oriented BASICs are BASICs all right because, while remaining BASIC-like in their semantics and base vocabulary, they simply implement one of the most productive and efficient schemes to achieve development speed, consistency and maintainability in modern production environments
Dartmouth died together with Kemeny
line numbers are a ridiculous anachronism
spaghetti code as a direct consequence of line numbering is a contagious disease, and spaghetti code advocates breeding it in their retro-dialects (re. SpecBAS) should be persecuted as public enemies
console is a rudiment of the past similar to Dartmouth; its entire functionality requires a half-screenful of include code; modern BASIC beginners should be ushered directly into the wonderful world of modern user-friendly graphics OS'es like MS Windows or macOS
goto is great and a must-have for any language out there
Python lists are a plagiarism borrowed from LISP to escape its inevitable sinking to oblivion like many other Linuxoid projects of the past and, obviously, of the future; modern BASICs counter LISP-like lists successfully with their own Variant data type functionality
advocating Python with its lists or QB64 that has practically no array support and at the same time harassing Script BASIC in its own discussion thread in the absence of the topic starter is plain and

and that is good presentation from AllBasic info...  :)

Aurel

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
When we talk about BASIC dialects...then situation is really weird
for example:

FBSL - is from my point of view ( and i always repeat that ) far more better and somehow
much stable than for example Eros - ThinBasic..
but hey :
FBSL is dead ....and thinBasic is still semi-alive
I wish that both are alive and have user base ... but time changes and young and older potential
users are not interested or lost interest.
So no mather how the languge is good or powerful ...simply people are not interested.
Especially young ...which are on smartphones...all the time.  ::)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 04:50:29 PM »
Aurel,

I appreciate your providing the exact source and authorship of your quotation this time. However a link to the original would be more preferable because it stresses two more points that your quotation misses:
  • It dates back to mid-2018 and states my opinion as of the date of its writing. My views may (or may not) change in any direction as times passes; and
  • As clearly stated twice in the original, I will not engage in any sort of fruitless discussions of my views either on AllBasic dot info, or Retrogamecoding dot org, or any other site of the same orientation.

FBSL is dead ....

That's correct. There will be no more FBSL as we knew it.

Like any other very well developed interpreter, it has become too dangerous if abused by evil minds. It is too polymorphic and almighty on the user PC with its low-level JIT compilers in an interpretative BASIC wrapper. No UAC, DEP or similar system defenses can prevent efficiently what it can do to the user PC in the hands of a perverted red eyed script kiddie, pretty much like the system is defenseless against all the evils that's been brought about by innumerous other interpreters of mostly Linuxoid origin.

I do not want it to be on the list of high-potential malware together with VisualBasic 6.0, and I do not want to be called Dr Frankenstein or Mr Hide. Mike Lobanovsky is what I am and I prefer to be remembered as such. :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
That's correct. There will be no more FBSL as we knew it.

Like any other very well developed interpreter, it has become too dangerous if abused by evil minds. It is too polymorphic and almighty on the user PC with its low-level JIT compilers in an interpretative BASIC wrapper. No UAC, DEP or similar system defenses can prevent efficiently what it can do to the user PC in the hands of a perverted red eyed script kiddie, pretty much like the system is defenseless against all the evils that's been brought about by innumerous other interpreters of mostly Linuxoid origin.

I do not want it to be on the list of high-potential malware together with VisualBasic 6.0, and I do not want to be called Dr Frankenstein or Mr Hide. Mike Lobanovsky is what I am and I prefer to be remembered as such. :)

It's to late, I'm afraid. There are at least three projects based on it. Two (HAL 9000 and Skynet) are run by the government, third one (Nexus 6) by Tyrell Corporation. Let's pray they are never finished, because not only Alien and Predator, but even Ripley herself won't be able to save us.

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
He laughs best who laughs last, my friend. ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
Did you realize that this year is "Blade Runner year"? And I still remember waiting for 2001...  ;)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 09:54:35 PM »
Why? 2049 is still 30 years ahead. I was 45 way back in 2001, and when I was only 15, I thought the 3rd millennium would never come because noone lives forever... :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
The original "Blade Runner", of course. Los Angeles 2019. In 2001 I was 24, but I was already a slave after on 29/08/1997 Skynet initiated "Judgement Day".  :)

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 10:14:26 PM »
The original "Blade Runner", of course. Los Angeles 2019.

That's correct; the recent "Blade Runner 2049" has somewhat blurred my memories. Thanks!

Richly

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 10:16:27 PM »
I spent less time coding in 2018/19 than at any time since I rediscovered it a few years back. Taking on additional responsibility at work (and then bringing it home) was the biggest culprit. Any spare time was largely spent in the real world with my family; most coding time was spent with my daughter (the BBC Microbit is a favourite at her school).

https://microbit.org/

The only BASIC that looks alive to me is BaCon. Other compilers/interpreters are either not being developed or used any more (I don't care about commercial products).

BBC BASIC is still under active development  ;)

I personally think it was a good year for BASIC.

Sorry guys, but it looks bad.

I have to agree. If your goal is to bring BASIC into the mainstream once again, that is. I'm actually quite happy with how BASIC is going, at least on my end - I gained quite a substantial number of new users who play with it on and off, and made some friends along the way.

So yeah, I had a good 2018 but I can see how others might see it differently.

Spot on.

jcfuller

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
My OCD had me trapped in No Man's Sky for a good portion of 2018 but I am now hard at work updating my bc9Basic Afx package.
FYI my not new (2016)UbxBasic ran fine on a raspberry pi 3 with Ubuntu Mate.
AIR recently tested it on Mac and with a few tweaks it worked there also.
I have NO interest in Linux anymore.
Windows gives me all I need. With vc++ anda Tiny C libaray I can now create wee apps that rival hand coded asm.

James

Tomaaz

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
I have NO interest in Linux anymore.
Windows gives me all I need. With vc++ anda Tiny C libaray I can now create wee apps that rival hand coded asm.

It's a very sensible approach, IMO. There is no point in trying to create cross platform product if the developer doesn't have a knowledge/skills/time/passion to do so. From my experience, I can't name a single BASIC project that works equally well under Windows and Linux, not to mention Android. 

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
With vc++ anda Tiny C libaray I can now create wee apps that rival hand coded asm.

Hi James,

Do you mean Frederick Harris' library or some Tiny C Compiler (TCC) library that somehow slipped my attention?

jcfuller

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2019, 10:56:35 AM »
With vc++ anda Tiny C libaray I can now create wee apps that rival hand coded asm.

Hi James,

Do you mean Frederick Harris' library or some Tiny C Compiler (TCC) library that somehow slipped my attention?

Mike,
  Fred's library.
  My focus is c++ translation so no Pelles or TCC here on.
James