Author Topic: mini Linux distros  (Read 16099 times)

Tomaaz

Re: mini Linux distros
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 05:25:45 PM »
I just visited FreeBASIC forum and found a very similar topic there. An user with a familiar nickname aurelVZAB delivers a dramatic speech:

...based on Debian...no thanks - never liked Debian and any clone or derivate!

I wonder why he doesn't like it. It's probably because Debian is mature, stable, simply works and serves as a base for the most important and popular distros ever. ;) Oh, I forgot - the iso is more than 30 mb.  ;D

Tomaaz

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 12:37:39 AM »
I've tried Porteus 32bit LXDE and must say it's a very nice distro. It may not be as easy to use as Mint or Solus, but, for someone who's got basic knowledge about Linux, it shouldn't take more than one hour to install it and understand how it works. It's another example how usable Linux has become. Aurel, did you finally give it a try? Please, reply, because it looks like I've started to run my blog here. ;D

Aurel

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:53:42 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
Reply why?

To discuss Porteus? You know - the distro you recommended a couple of posts before.

LxPup Lx - crap ...no way ...all pup-s are nothing for me.

LxPup is very nice, but... Porteus is as good or even better, because it doesn't run as root all the time. Thanx for recommending it!

tinyCore is a mainstream linux( or better to say unixoid)

It isn't, but if you like it then just use it. What's the problem?

and fuccckkk kDE version not work in my virtual machine ..

Why do you want to run it in a virtual machine??? I've tried many Linux distros and something like half of them simply didn't work this way. And only one (Sparky) worked in VM as good as it did on a real hardware. Just put Porteus on a pendrive and it will work.

All other ISO-s i have work without problem but this one not ...old story.
bla ..blaa ..blaa
 :)

This just doesn't make any sense. :) All other ISOs worked, but somehow not working Porteus is an old story (which suggest that things rather didn't work in the past).

I'm telling you - Porteus turned out to be a very nice distro. Unfortunately, I've got this felling that, because I like it, it's not an option for you anymore.  ;)

Aurel

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 03:29:25 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:54:05 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
Yes ..i tried Porteus few times before and almost all versions have similar problems
and some of older versions not work from USB too...

This one does. It's a bit more difficult to create a persistent storage than in Puppys, but it works. I totally understand that you want KDE. I'm a LXDE guy. It's sad it doesn't have a future (LXQT is not exactly the same thing). :(

I remember trying Porteus in the past, but I didn't like it, because it came only with KDE at the time. For the same reason I didn't really like Slax.

Aurel

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:54:26 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
And? Do you like it?

Tomaaz

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:42 PM »
Aurel, could you try to install FreeBASIC on Porteus (it's in the repos). Something really strange is going on when I try to use it.

Aurel

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 10:16:03 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:54:49 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:18 AM »
Sure, you forgot.  ;) If you're unable to make Porteus run from USB stick then I seriously doubt you can help me with my problem.

Aurel

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 02:44:11 PM »
Sure you babeling...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:59:12 PM by Aurel »

Tomaaz

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
OK. I knew you didn't know much about Linux, but it looks like you know absolutely nothing about it. First thing you need to do with Porteus is setting up persistent storage. There is no point to install new apps or configure your system, because all changes will be lost when you log out/ power off. When you have a persisten storage  up and running, you can install new apps. The selection that is included in the ISO is minimal to keep the ISO small. You can install/remove apps from command line or you can use GUI for it (USM package manager? something like that - I'm at work so don't have an access to my Porteus installation).  Of course, you need to run it as root. The packake manager will download everything for you and convert from Slackware format to Porteus module. Then you need to double click on the module file (it will be located in /tmp/usm/ or /usr/tmp/usm/) to activate it. If you want it to be loaded automatically during next boot move it to /porteus/modules/ directory on your USB.

Aurel

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:00:20 PM by Aurel »

Aurel

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:01:13 PM by Aurel »