Author Topic: A classic one - how does look your desktop?  (Read 25021 times)

Mike Lobanovsky

Re: A classic one - how does look your desktop?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
... You can simply ... assume that I'm lying and call me a liar and a troll. Up tp you. ;)

Will you cut out that crap, man? You're evidently mistaking me for someone else. So far the hardest word I used in this topic was "nope" -- just because I'm an insider in the matters we're talking about while you're obviously a casual passer-by, a novice in the things you're trying to judge. You're OK with JS and Python -- fine, so be it. I'm OK with ReactOS -- fine, so be it. That's no reason to try and provoke uneasiness for whatever purpose you might have. Relax and take it easy; noone's gonna hurt your feelings -- at least not this time around. :)

Tomaaz

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 09:53:18 PM »
Will you cut out that crap, man? You're evidently mistaking me for someone else.

That wasn't serious, but, in fact, you did call me "a troll" several times (no harm done). ;)

So far the hardest word I used in this topic was "nope" -- just because I'm an insider in the matters we're talking about while you're obviously a casual passer-by, a novice in the things you're trying to judge.

OK. I admit that I'm not an expert here and your knowledge is much bigger, but I don't think that my opinion is totally worthless. It's based on two things: 1) The fact that ReactOS has been developed for 18 years, but its goal is still a compatibility with WinXP (the world has moved on, that's a fact). 2) I believe those people who tested it and decided that Wine is still a better option. Let's be realistic - do you really believe that in a couple of years there will be a significant number of computer users still interested in WinXP compatibility? This is obviously a very ambitious and interesting project (I agree with that), but I can't believe it will ever gain any popularity and/or will be a real alternative for Windows.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:10:17 PM by Tomaaz »

Tomaaz

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »
What do you mean, modern?

I've just read that, from version 53, Firefox will not be supporting WinXP and Vista anymore. As far I remember it is the last mainstream browser that still supports these ancient systems. How many more programs will drop support for XP before ReactOS finally becomes compatible with it? That's exactly what I mean by "modern".

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »
Those are indeed some quite unusual attitudes to be read on a Retro programming forum. :D

Do you know what it feels like to be seeing this: :)

[UPD]

... or this: :D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:46:51 PM by Mike Lobanovsky »

B+

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
Those are indeed some quite unusual attitudes to be read on a Retro programming forum. :D

Do you know what it feels like to be seeing this: :)

Oh no, not another Mandelbrot?!

Tomaaz

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 04:38:37 PM »

This is not a retro programming forum. This is a forum about programming retro games (or at least it was at the beginning). Retro games can be coded with a modern technology and run on a modern hardware (mobile phones are a perfect example, here). If this was a retro programming forum we all would be using Qbasic under Dosbox, Turbo Pascal and SpecBAS (no offense, Paul ;)). ;D

I concur! :) Mandelbrot programs should be temporarily banned from the forum, together with all these 20 lines long sinus/cosinus graphics examples. And I do apologize for bringing this topic back. ;) *

* I'm serious.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:46:08 PM by Tomaaz »

ScriptBasic

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 05:25:48 PM »
@Tomaaz: Personally I enjoy and learn from your examples in languages I don't normally use. I'm thrilled with your interest in JavaScript as I to have a JavaScript OOP interest in a V7 integration with Script BASIC.

JavaScript methods are object properties with a function reference attached.
8)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:31:29 PM by John »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »

My screenshots are not about Mandelbrot. They are about my homely retro desktops if you didn't notice, Mark, and it was by sheer accident that they happened to be flooded with Tomaaz' JS code the moment I took them. ;D 

jj2007

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
from version 53, Firefox will not be supporting WinXP and Vista anymore.

See the bright side: Version 52 will support XP, then wait a year or two and you can be sure that no virus writer bothers any more with such an old system. Finally a safe browser!
 8)

Tomaaz

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
See the bright side: Version 52 will support XP, then wait a year or two and you can be sure that no virus writer bothers any more with such an old system. Finally a safe browser!
 8)

Why wait? Already, you can use outdated version of Chrome or IE. ;)

Cybermonkey

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »
This topic is about desktops not mandelbrot!  ;)
Here is another one, hardly to beat in the retro aspect I guess ... coding with Visual BASIC 3.0
(Yes it's Windows 3.11 for Workgroups running in a Dosbox [on Linux])

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:01:26 AM by Cybermonkey »

Tomaaz

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
Yes it's Windows 3.11 for Workgroups running in a Dosbox...

Here is mine, then:

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
... coding with Visual BASIC 3.0
(Yes it's Windows 3.11 for Workgroups running in a Dosbox [on Linux])

COOL!!! :D

Here is another one, hardly to beat in the retro aspect I guess ...

Why not? What about this one:

or rather this:  :D

Tomaaz

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
OK. Here we go:

Hey guys... Wasn't this topic supposed to be about the desktops we are actually using for everyday work, today?  ???

EDIT This is more boring than another Mandelbrot example and almost as boring as new 20 lines long sin/cos programs.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:05:35 AM by Tomaaz »

Mike Lobanovsky

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
EDIT This is more boring than another Mandelbrot example ...

Why bother posting then? On a Retrogamecoding board? ;D